The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) is the agency of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the Government of India responsible for administering laws regarding foreign trade and foreign investment in India.
While the Regional Offices at Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai, and Mumbai are Zonal Offices which are headed by the Additional Director General of Foreign Trade, the remaining Regional Offices are headed by Joint Director-General, Deputy Director-General, and Assistant Director-General. Some of the RAs are also headed by Additional Director General. Office of the Director-General is located at Gate No 2 of Udyog Bhavan, New Delhi.
These functions entail close interaction with the related arms of the Government, economists, trade bodies, exporters as well as keep track of the changing scenario in International Trade.
About the Internship Scheme
The internship program aims to ensure the interaction of the officers of the Directorate with the young scholars and Researchers with brilliant academic backgrounds from reputed academic institutions pursuing Studies/Research in Economics / Law / Finance / Management.
While refreshing ideas from the field of academics will enable the Directorate to critically analyze its activity and take corrective steps in an objective impartial manner, it will also simultaneously provide an excellent opportunity to the brilliant interns to familiarize themselves with the overall process of formulation of foreign trade policy of the Government at the macro level and its implementation by DGFT at the micro-level.
- Students in the final year of their graduation (4th & 5th years) with consistent excellent academic records
- Fresh graduates with excellent academic records and possessing first-class degree/
- Students possessing first-class graduation degree pursuing Post Graduation /
- High second class post-graduation degree (with at least 55% marks) pursuing Research courses in Economics / Finance/Management/Law at National Schools of Economics/Law/Central Universities/AICTE recognized Financial/Economic Institutions/Recognized National Management Institutes/Foreign Universities and Institutions of excellence can apply for an internship.
- The Scheme is open to only Indian Nationals residing in India or pursuing their studies abroad.
The duration of the internship will be for a maximum period of 2 months for Summer Internship Programme (June-July).
Submission of Report
The interns will be required to present a report/paper at the end of their internship to the Head of Division.
Certificate of Internship
Certificates will be issued to the interns on satisfactory completion of their internships and on submission of their Report/Paper and its evaluation by the Head of the concerned Division.
Mode of Application
- Interested students can send their applications, along with their CVs, in the enclosed format to the Joint DGFT (O&M) at Directorate General of Foreign Trade, Room No. 103, Udyog Bhawan, New Delhi – 110 011 (Email:
- The candidate will be required to produce a permission letter from their Supervisor / Head of Department, in case he/she is interested to join the internship during his/her course-work.
- The application should be submitted by 30 April (every year) for Summer Internship Programme (June-July).
All the applications will be scrutinized by a Selection Committee and the actual offer will be sent to the selected candidates subject to the availability of slot, consent of the concerned Division, and approval of the competent Authority.
The decision of the Selection Committee shall be final and binding and no queries shall be entertained after the completion of the selection process.
Consolidated token remuneration of Rs.10, 000 per month.
DGFT headquarters in New Delhi.