About the Opportunity
The applications for TED Global Idea Search 2021 are now open! Go ahead and apply by January 21, 2021.
TED is hosting two global idea searches in 2021 with a mission: to hear big, bold ideas from every corner of the world. A select group of people from each application pool will be invited to give TED Talks, either virtually or in person.
Their mission is to spread ideas that are worth spreading: Ideas that are new, unique, and can offer an insight or a new way of thinking to a very large audience.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages.
TED Conferences LLC is an American media organization that posts talks online for free distribution under the slogan “ideas worth spreading“. TED was conceived by Richard Saul Wurman, who co-founded it with Harry Marks in February 1984 as a conference; it has been held annually since 1990.
THe TED Global Idea Search
A TED Talk usually has a topic and an idea.
A topic is the high level – the general direction you want to take the talk. Topic example: We need to fix the opioid crisis
An idea is a specific angle that stems from the topic – a unique message, solution, or insight that only you can share.
Winners will be invited to give a TED talk, either virtually or in person.
Who can Apply?
- Open to individuals with ideas that are very new, unique, and can offer an insight or a new way of thinking to a very large audience.
- Applicants may be from any country around the world.
- Please make a 2-minute video as a part of your application.
- Film yourself using good lighting angled towards your face rather than coming from behind you.
- Use a stable camera oriented in horizontal framing (this does not need to be a professional camera — it can be a computer or phone camera), set to the highest resolution. (On most phones, the resolution you want to use is 4k, 1080.)
- Make sure your sound is clear and audible (avoid filming outside, and prevent objects from rubbing on the microphone).
- Your combined answers to the four questions should not exceed two minutes. A good way to plan for two minutes is to write out a script that is around 280-300 words.
- When you are done, upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo and title the video, “your name – TED Global Idea Search”.
- Make sure the video is listed as “public” or “unlisted” so that TED won’t need a password to view it.
Questions you’ll need to answer in your video
- Question 1. Who are you and what are your credentials?
- Question 2. What is the idea you want to share?
- Question 3. What insights will you leave the audience with?
- Question 4. Why should we invite you to give a TED Talk?
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can submit their videos by clicking the link at the end of this post.
The last date to apply is January 21, 2021.