About the Opportunity
UPL Ltd., an Indian MNC and a global provider of sustainable agricultural products, is hiring for the post of Counsel-Global, for its Mumbai office.
About UPL Ltd.
UPL Limited, is an Indian multinational company that manufactures and markets agrochemicals, industrial chemicals, chemical intermediates, and specialty chemicals, and also offers crop protection solutions. Headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, the company engages in both agro and non-agro activities.
- Negotiating, drafting and closing commercial agreements and related matters such as subcontractor agreements, NDA’s, statements of work, direct and indirect licensing agreements, alliance/partnering agreements, support agreements, marketing agreements, and distribution/channel agreements.
- Knowledge of and engagement with data privacy and data security-related issues.
- Preparation of standard templates for recurring commercial transactions and to address new business models or legal and business requirements.
- Counselling and collaborating with business/sales clients, marketing, finance and other business functions necessary to effectively and efficiently accomplish assignments and ensuring best practices in various legal areas such as antitrust, intellectual property protection, contract law, and others.
- Working with internal business partners on education and planning and advising business leaders on significant legal issues impacting the business, including the drafting and hands-on negotiation of diverse commercial agreements with global parties.
- Is responsible for assisting the Regional Head (Legal) and the Global General Counsel at the HQ level and Asia region. The Counsel provides legal assistance by way of contract review, M&A support, setting-up and rolling out an effective compliance program at a global level and providing legal advice on a need basis.
- The role of the Counsel is to ensure that regional businesses are provided with legal documentation and advisory support and are legally compliant with all the applicable laws.
- Preparing implementation plan and organizing/providing training on the global compliance program across the globe.
- Ad hoc duties as directed by Management.
Educational Qualifications Required
- Law degree (J.D. or equivalent) from a leading university or law school.
- Licensed to practice law in India or other common law jurisdictions.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of legal experience (with some years of experience at a leading global law firm and/or in-house at a major multinational corporation), preferably with some portion of that experience in manufacturing and commercial transactions.
- Excellent language capability including the ability to communicate orally and in writing English. Ability to draft legal documents in English strongly preferred.
Skills and Competencies
- A mix of corporate law firm and in-house experience is a plus
- Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and computer skills
- Common sense, great judgment, and a good sense of humor
- The successful candidate must be proactive, enthusiastic, enjoy working hard and being challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations.