About the Opportunity
Caterpillar Inc., the world’s largest construction equipment manufacturer, is looking to hire for the job post of Corporate Counsel for its branch office in India (Bangalore).
About the Company
Caterpillar Inc. is an American Fortune 100 corporation that designs, develops, engineers, manufactures, markets, and sells machinery, engines, financial products, and insurance to customers via a worldwide dealer network. It is the world’s largest construction equipment manufacturer.
Role and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be accountable to provide a broad array of employment and labor law advice and counsel in India and in the Asia Pacific region to internal business team members, typically Operations Leaders and Mid-Executive Level Managers; Human Resources Managers and Personnel; and Legal Services Professionals.
The job description includes the following responsibilities:
- Developing successful employment and labor law counseling and dispute resolution strategies
- Delivering high quality, cost-effective management of external counsel.
- Serving as a key team member on the Employment &Labor Law team and supporting internal legal services processes to track metrics, communicating the status of matters, and collaborating with various internal stakeholders in our global organization.
- In collaboration with Legal Services and Human Resources colleagues located globally, delivering legal counsel and support of business operations located primarily in India and as needed in other countries in the Asia Pacific region.
- Identifying and managing and/or coordinating capable and cost-effective legal support options in various business locations across the region for labor and employment needs
- Maintaining cooperative relationships with contacts to supplement legal support alternatives.
- Developing collaborative relationships with Human Resources managers in the region, metering legal support in accordance with the need, and assisting with legal training and building of capabilities to achieve greater efficiencies where appropriate.
- Exercising judgment and discretion in addressing workplace matters that are complex and highly sensitive, consulting in confidence with others in Legal Services, Human Resources, and business unit leadership positions within region and globally within the Caterpillar enterprise.
- Manage employment and labor disputes from claim through litigation
- Achieve resolution of employment disputes by identifying witnesses and documents
- Communicating relevant legal developments within the region arising from case law, legislation, and regulatory enforcement of employment and labor matters including discrimination, human rights, pay transparency, to interested stakeholders in the enterprise and colleagues within Legal Services.
- Other similar and relevant tasks as assigned.
Read the detailed job description on the landing application page.
- Degree in law (at least bachelor or equivalent) with preference given to a specialization in employment law
- No less than 5-8 years of employment and labor law practice experience in India, through a large law firm, or combination of firm and private corporate settings
- An active license or officially qualified or admitted to practice law as in-house counsel to the extent required in India
- Familiarity with company policies and procedures, a strong legal background, as well as the ability to maintain confidentiality, along with excellent interpersonal skills and personal accountability.
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English.
- Must have proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Outlook
- Prior experience at a large international law firm or corporation setting working on employment and labor law matters
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR practices in India, and application of local, in-country employment laws
- Ability to apply business knowledge to disputed matters
- Ability to present underlying strategic thinking to attorneys and leaders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal with sensitive issues or influence others inside and outside the department to take specific actions
- Goal and process-oriented with a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and make decisions